The world is but a canvas to the imagination...
Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Oh mama!

Being a mom is totally tough, you wonder if you can do it, and then you turn around and have your heart melted by huge blue eyes and a sticky kiss. I used to think that being a mom was very hard when they were little, four of them close together, hard pregnancies, Shon-O travelled all of the time and asthma. Then they started to grow and thrive like we prayed and a whole new set of fears crops up. Will they be liked at school? Will they understand their work, play dates, friends coming over...I would think, man! This is the hard part. Now, I have my little baby who is turning 14 next month and he and his friends, still come over, but now they are all legs and hair in their eyes, getting old enough for dances and wanting to go to movies by themselves...driving soon and even worse, getting in the car with other teenagers who are driving and I think man! This is the hard part. Luckily, they still give me kisses, not so sticky, but just as sweet. Their eyes are just as big and melt your heart blue, beautiful and without guile, which I pray they stay that way. You wonder, am I teaching them properly? Will I be strong enough to trust their agency and let them go? I love the poem below, I don't know who wrote it, but it makes me hope I can be strong enough to be a mean mom.

No comments: