The world is but a canvas to the imagination...
Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I just hope I am mean enough....

Someday when my children are old enough to understand
the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell them,
as my Mean Mom told me:
I loved you enough
to ask where you were going,
with whom, and what time you
would be home.
I loved you enough to be
silent and let you discover that
your new best friend was a creep.
I loved you enough to stand over
you for two hours while you cleaned
your room, a job that should
have taken 15 minutes.
I loved you enough to
let you see anger, disappointment,
and tears in my eyes.
Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect.
I loved you enough to let you
assume the responsibility for your
actions even when the penalties
were so harsh they almost broke my heart.
But most of all, I loved you enough . . .
to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it.
Those were the most difficult battles
of all..... I'm glad I won them,
because in the end you won, too.
And someday when your children
are old enough to understand
the logic that motivates parents,
you will tell them.
as my Mean Mom told me:
I loved you enough.......

1 comment:

Jem said...

What a beautiful poem. It brought a tear to my eye. My favorite job in the whole world is being a mom. What a tough yet rewarding job. You're a great mom, Kee!