The world is but a canvas to the imagination...
Henry David Thoreau

Monday, May 26, 2008

14 and growing up fast

Yesterday, my "baby"turned 14. I had joked about crying, but I surprised myself when I really did. Alex came into the world in a fairly dramatic fashion. We were alone up in Juneau, Alaska, my Mom and Sister were fogged in, in Haines and were waiting either for a ferry to come or the fog to lift. My Dad was on Vancouver Island, and Shon's family were in Montana. We had had a very difficult pregnancy anyway, a great deal of preterm labor, and several hospital stays with bedrest in between. I joined the LDS church while pregnant with Alex and the poor missionary who baptized me was terrified I was going to have him during the baptism! My water finally broke on May 23rd, but labor was going nowhere so the Dr. started pitossen (sp?) It was after being on that in very hard labor without any painrelievers (Dr.'s choice not mine) for 13 hours that Alex and I both went into shock and they did an emergency c-section. I was pretty out of it, but I remember being really worried about Shon, because it was the middle of the night and he was there alone. Somehow, I knew Alex was okay. As for me, I just wanted to be out of pain. I could not wait to hold that little baby. Turns out I had to since they used a general anethesia. :-) My first memory of Alex is a very precious, tender one. I was back in my room, groggy from the anethesia, I turned my head and saw my sweet husband exhausted, asleep in the chair beside my bed. The curtains were open just a little bit and the sun was rising. I saw Shon's hands craddling a little bundle, tucked up under his chin. Held safe even while his slept. Alex's little face with it's big blue eyes was turned towards me. He was awake and just looking at the light. Not crying, just checking out the world calmly. That first memory is very indicitive of his personality. Sweet, calm and laid back. He has a natural charisma that draws people to him. I have been so proud of him, especially this year as he has navigated being ill, his priesthood responsibilties, his calling in the Deacon's quarum, being an amazing big brother, wonderful son and a very strong friend while navigating the perils of Junior High. Both adults and kids like him very much. His laid back aproach to social groups - judging people for who they are and not who they hang out with- is a strength that I (and his teachers at school) aplaud for it's maturity. While he was out of school for five weeks, his teachers told me that while they knew he was well liked, they were amazed at the variety of kids from every social group that asked how he was and when he was coming back. I don't know what he will end up doing with his life, he has plenty of time to decide, but I do know that I am proud of him now and love the fact that we can hang out, play around, goof around, but he is still a repectful, reponsible boy. All of this being said, he is still human, not perfect and I am afraid to go into his room without a Haz-mat suit. Alex, you are amazing, yes I am bawling like a fountain as I write this. Honey, if this was a movie we would all stand up and applaud you. (Pan camera out to imagine all of us in your life, standing and doing the "slow" clap!) :-) All in all, I wouldn't change a thing. Except maybe the room.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Colett (*.*) said...

You really are a big cry baby, JK I loved every word if it and I love that big 14 yr old too! Happy Birthday Aly!

Joan said...

And I remember the first time I saw him too. You got off the airplane in Billings with him in his little car seat and I looked at that face and immediatley fell in love with my first grand chld. He was my boy and would stop crying and go to sleep when I would rock and sing to him. He was beautiful and still is. It just can't be 14 years ago.

Grandma Joan

Rob said...

Happy Birthday Alex. I haven't seen you in a quite a while. My last memories of you is you asking me and my companion to play Blues Clues and when your family got sealed in the Temple. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Sounds like you got a lot going for you (at least you have your mom convinced ;) ), keep it up.

austinamasandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
austinamasandra said...

I was reading this and crying. You have a gift with words. You should write a book!

Amy said...

14 years old! Oh those were the days! I can't believe he is growing up so fast! What a remarkable young man...you are a lucky and great mom!